Please make sure you post one idea per suggestion:

Colour/theme options (since update 2.58)

The new pastel colours are terrible with update 2.58. The green and aquamarine blue (thumb and ring fingers) now look nearly identical which makes it really hard to play! Allow users to go back to the old colour scheme or allow users to choose the individual colours they want to use per finger and provide a full colour palette to choose from.

63 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The purple color note bar in enhanced mode makes it IMPOSSIBLE to see the note written there. E, B, F? Which one is it? Who knows because you can't make it out because of the dark purple color. Hard to believe no one noticed this before putting out the update but please lighten it. We are looking at moving objects when playing and these types of impediments not only interrupt the learning process but are a source of extreme frustration and stunt out progress.

• Jane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

perform mode:
    Can you please change the chord letters above the staff from white to black (or a colour other than white) because I can barely see them against the white background.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In practice mode the background colour on the staff is a darker blue instead of white; it is nearly impossible to read the notes on my android screen and I get tense trying to read it- defeats the purpose of practice. A white background would be greatly appreciated.

• Jens-Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having problems with the practice mode. It's very difficult to see the helper lines on the notes outside the bars. In addition the change of color and animation of the background is very frusteating and distracting. I would much prefer it if the play and practice mode appearance was the same.

• Henrique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I agree with you, Miemo Penttinen, because the colors aren't good. As I said, "the Play screen is grey. With that color, there is a solitude sense, because that is colorless, we think that there are missing colours." Previously, there was only 1 blue tone, but now, there are 3 blue tones: "aqua marinha", finger 1, dark blue, finger 3 and light blue, finger 4. The previous colours are more "alive" in comparison with the actual colours. Yousician shouldn't change nothing, because, that way, users must adapt to the new schemes, colours, etc. It's like a story that I've seen on TV. There was a man who created a simplified keyboard, with the most used letters in the middle row. People said that typed 75% faster than in QWERTY keyboard. But, when they presented their idea to the US government, they refused to use the new system. This was because they were already accustomed to using the QWERTY keyboard and therefore did not want to change their keyboard so they did not had to adapt to the new system.

I dn’t think I had ever, in two years, seen anyone complain about the finger colourings. Why would Yousician change them? This is fundamental stuff for absolute beginners - was it to drive us to the black notes? It’s advertised as a game so let players use enhanced mode and colours as long as they’re finding enjoyment without tinkering please.

• Miemo Penttinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'd been a few weeks since I used Yousician, and boy was the experience wildly different this time around. (I'm on level 5 on Piano if that matters)

Mkay, so first of all: for an app that bases the teaching on color coding, you really should NOT change the color coding like ever. The change alone messes the connection people have already made in their heads about how colors map to fingers. I feel like I can't play anymore at the moment, and need to retrain the basic songs just to get the mappings to my head. So a big step backwards alone from this angle.

Secondly: some of the colors in the new color scheme are really hard to tell from each other. Again something that should be avoided at all costs if color coding is the core of your app.

And thirdly: while this is subjective, I have to say that the new colors are just esthetically very, very unpleasent. While the earlier bold colors felt pretty natural and neutral, the new pastel'esque palette feels like it's ripped off the walls of a childrens hospital. It doesn't feel like an esthetic enviroment I'd like to spend hopefully hours daily in.

While I've been mostly happy with the app previously, and did willingly pay the higher price for the famous songs, I do have to say that these latest changes have me searching for alternative solutions. Yeah, it's that bad.

• Henrique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that Yousician should change the actual colours to previous ones. Previously, the Play screen was "aqua marinha", a color between blue and green but now, it is grey. It gives the solitude sense, because there are missing colours. This is another reason why I want the previous color palette back.

So i was directed here after voicing my displeasure with the color change only to find that I’m not alone, so now my concern has shifted to when will this be changing???

My kids of 7, 5 and 4 loved this app and playing piano! They even liked this "game" more over Mario. They were constantly trying to play it perfect and getting all the gold stars.

After the color "update" things changed. They are having trouble with the recognizing the notes and are getting tired more quickly.

Please youcisian please fix this. Bring back the old colours and the calibration screen!

• Yan yidong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really hate the color Change. Who thought about change it really makes me speechless. Would you please do something meaningful but not mess up with something is already good

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After three days without practicing due to colors, found an alternative (synthesia), which is cheaper, has better support of my keyboard and better learning approach.

Currently moving my current songs there. My subscription ends at the end of Nov, not going to extend it.

• Paul Vonhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My daughter is 6 with partial cataracts. The low contrast between note colours makes seeing them very difficult.

Do the colors the way Rocksmith did: dark blue/gray background with primary colored notes. I play that 3 hours a day with zero eye difficulties.

Literally looks like my printer is running out of ink, not to mention the fact I can’t even settle before the song starts. Some of us are still beginners that need that opportunity and guidance and it’s like they’ve pulled the rug out for the sake of change and it’s dumb.

I haven't played in a few days over the color change. I thought perhaps it was to improve and not to become complacent. However I have not played because of the change.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base